Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Why It Matters To Me

As a psychology major at Seattle University, this myth is first off important to me because it has to do with my field of study and much of the terminology included in the updated version of the DSM-IV. More personally, I especially find abnormal psychology to be a fascinating subject to study and it is my preferred area of research in my major. Last year I had the opportunity to work at day care facility for severely autistic, schizophrenic, and Down's syndrome patients who’s families did not have the money to take care of them during the work hours of the day. Through this experience I was very much touched by the people I helped and volunteered for and I wanted to know more about the differentiating abnormal mental disorders I observed there. What interested me most about this myth were the diagnoses of what people experience who have schizophrenia or MPD. Moreover, I believe psychological misunderstandings like this are important to correct because understanding an illness of any form is vital to understanding the person suffering from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment